View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Sat Apr 19th, 2008 02:05 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

The monument to Jackson at Chancellorsville, hard against the Orange Plank Road, actually is the site where his wounds were initially tended. In 1996, Krick documented and pinpointed the actual wounding site, which is about 50 yards northeast of the 1888 monument, on the east side of the visitors' center.

In 2003, our roundtable went to Chancellorsville for the 140th anniversary of the wounding (we were actually there to spend the weekend in Fredericksburg). We gathered at the site, with a park ranger, at the hour of his wounding. I was surprised how late at night it was, around 9 p.m. if I recall. We had a moment of silence. It was a haunting experience.

I didn't realize we were so close to Longstreet's wounding, though. Nobody mentioned it. I'll have to check it out next time I'm up there. Sometimes it's hard to separate Chancellorsville from the Wilderness even though they are essentially the same battleground.

While we're discussing Jackson, Sedgwick and Longstreet's woundings, we can add: who shot Gen. Reynolds at Gettysburg?

Close Window