View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Sat May 3rd, 2008 05:43 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear 1st Sgt.,

Was there more than 1 Bell aircraft factory, other than the one in GA? If so, do you know other locations? Go to nymas.org --right sidebar, my women in WWII summary--the Homefront section--and read about the 80+ year old Bell A/c riveter. You'll be very surprised to see who it is.

You and others remind me what a real "trip" WWII was. The story that really got to me was of a female OSS agent working Burma, out of India. She learned in the same day that Gen. Hideki Tojo and cabinet had resigned and that the 17th (?) Jap. division in N. Burma was suffering from low morale. Connecting these 2 dots,, she enlisted others, including a Jap. POW who was a former teacher, in a plan in which a false order from Tokyo was given to a native Burmese agent whose job it was to assassinate Japanese couriers. So that night the next one "bit the dust" as it were and the fake order was placed in his dispatch bag. The agent then offered to help the Jap. officers look for the body the next day, feigning ignorance of course. When the order was found, it engendered much rapid discussion among the Jap. officers. The order said a new surrender policy was now in place. soldiers could surrender if they were totally surrounded, out of food and/or ammo. A British agent later wrote that he thought this fake order played a big part in a local surrender. Whereas normally the Jap. POW compounds were nearly empty due to suicides, suddenly they were filled. The OSS agt. stated that the real reason the Japanese soldiers committed suicide was not that they were so fanatic, but because if they did not their families in Japan would be dishonored and ostracized socially and politically. Anyway, the "morale" of the story is: Just think, there were millions of stories in WWII as good as this one! It really boggles the mind.

CKL

Close Window