View single post by Bama46
 Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 08:27 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Bama46
$user_title

Mana: 

Tom,

I believe you are right..the NC reference sort of rings a bell with me.. I am so dam*ed deaf that proper nouns are almost always beyond my comprehension unless I can see the name spelled out somewhere. He was quite knowledgable, yet quick to admit that his knowledge was somewhat rusty around the East Calvary Field as so few visitors request that as a stop. He went on to say that the vast majority of the visitors' knowledge of the battle comes from The Killer Angels, or Gettysburg...same thing... and anyone who has read the book will realize that it focuses almost exclusively on LRT and Picketts charge, but more on LRT. As  a result, most guides will take visitors to the areas they are familiar with and skip the more obscure areas even tho they may have played a more important role in the battle..i.e. culps Hill.

At any rate, we had a wonderful time at Gettysburg and also at Antietam, altho I still can get powerful confused at Antietam....and in a big hurry too!

Gettysburg, Shiloh, and many of the other battlefields I have visited offer a "mind's eye view" that lets you get an overall picture of events taking place so that you can focus on smaller areas, then put the smaller areas together into a larger picture. Antietam does not do that, at least not for me yet. I don't know why, but I have to hold a troop position map in my hands almost the entire time I am on the field or i am completely twisted around.

Ed

Last edited on Mon Jun 9th, 2008 08:32 pm by

Close Window