View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Thu Jul 10th, 2008 03:46 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Sadly, we are watching a wonderful generation go down. I expect that those who watched the Civil War veterans march into history had the same feelings about them.

The accepted figure of WW II vets living today is about 2.5 million, about one in seven. Perhaps half a million die each year.

FOXNews.com - World War II Veterans Are Dying at Rate of More Than 1,000 a Day, Numbers Dwindling - Local News | News Article...

I disagree with the historian in this article that all will be gone by 2020, however. People are living longer these days, and a lot of WW II vets will live to be over 100. (We still have a WW I soldier living). Three Confederate vets attended the last UCV meeting in 1951 (Though all three died soon after). That was 86 years after their war ended.

My guess is that hundreds will still be living in 2020. A handfull will probably be still living in  2030. Based on the ages of the oldest humans now living, I expect that the last WW II vet might die around the age of 115. If you start with a young one who was 20 years of age in 1945, you conclude that the date of death will be around 2040.

Whatever that date is, it will be a sad day for our country.

Close Window