View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Fri Aug 1st, 2008 04:17 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Maranda Jane Cockrell-

I don't have any specific information about how many Missourians travelled with Jo Shelby to Mexico or how many settled in Texas. I also have not researched information on how many of Quantrill's men settled in Texas.

I can tell you that a number of Missourians made Texas connections years before the Civil War. Their number includes some of the Cockrells.

Alexander Cockrell was born in KY and his family moved to MO when he was a small child. He came to TX as a young man and worked for Ben McCullouch during the Mexican War. He established himself in the Dallas Area in the 1850s before being killed in a gunfight in 1858.

Handbook of Texas Online - COCKRELL, ALEXANDER

Alexander's wife, Sarah Horton Cockrell, became a prominent businesswoman before and after the war.

Handbook of Texas Online - COCKRELL, SARAH HORTON

You are obviously quite familiar with the life of COL Jeremiah Vardaman Cockrell, since you have taken the name of his wife, Maranda Jane Douglass Cockrell. After the war he was prominent in Grayson and Jones counties as a judge and a congressman.

Handbook of Texas Online - COCKRELL, JEREMIAH VARDAMAN

His Congressional bio:

COCKRELL, Jeremiah Vardaman - Biographical Information

You might like to read newspaper articles on this site that discuss his passing and funeral arrangements.

Jeremiah Vardeman Cockrell (1832 - 1915) - Find A Grave Memorial

This response hasn't done much to answer the questions you posed, but if it gives you any information about the Cockrells that you didn't have, then it was worth the effort.

Last edited on Fri Aug 1st, 2008 04:20 am by Texas Defender

Close Window