View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 09:30 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Maranda Jane Cockrell-

I'm certainly looking at some interesting folks here. I am not a native Texan, but I've lived here for a very long time, and I can't resist studying Texas history.

I've consulted the Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System, but the only Simon Cockrell I found was a sergeant in the 1st Choctaw and Chickasaw Rifles.(Douglas Cooper's regiment). That could not have been the Simon Cockrell born in 1801.

It was said that the one born in 1801 served the Confederacy as a recruiter, but I see no record of it. Some units raised by the state of Texas were brought into CSA service. Monetary support from the TX legislature was uneven. So, I can't say that he did or didn't serve.

I cannot find any authenticity to the claim that the Cockrells were any relation to the James family. Here is a typical James genealogy site:

Genealogy of Jesse JAMES & Zerelda Amanda MIMMS

Looking elsewhere I haven't seen any Cockrells listed as spouses during the generations in question.

As for this cousin Wesley Cockrell, could he be the one born in 1851 who died in 1905? That one can be found in Sweetwater Cemetery in Sweetwater, TX. That would have made him a much younger cousin of the Cockrell brothers born almost 20 years earlier. Hmmm......

Close Window