View single post by Wrap10
 Posted: Thu Aug 28th, 2008 12:35 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Wrap10

Mana: 

I'm not certain that either quote is authentic, but if one of them is, I'm more inclined to believe it was the quote about McClellan. Something about it just sounds more believable to me.

For instance, why would Lee want to take the time to search through history to find a commander he felt was the equal of Grant? Does it really make sense that he would have done this? And when did he do so? He only lived for five years after the war, and most of that was spent as president of a college that occupied a good bit of his time and attention.

I wish I could find the exact quote as it is rather extensive, but I couldn't find it last night. Same luck I've had with trying to find that Stacy Allen essay on Wallace. But as I understand it, the quote attributed to Lee about Grant was written down, as opposed to the verbal comment about McClellan. So if Lee did write that, there should be some record of it, or at least must have been at one time.

The first time I came across it was on the dust-jacket of a book about Grant, but the author gave no information about the quote inside the book, oddly enough. I still have the book, but the dust-jacket has long since disappeared.

Perry

Close Window