View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Thu Sep 4th, 2008 01:51 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

EricJacobson wrote: 44th VA INF wrote: Geanral Shermans march to the sea help win the war for the union but was his actions agaisnt the civlian population in gerigia and south cariolina to villaniasd he aloowed his troops to pillage to rape and excute in captured confedrate soldiers i personally think his action were wrong and unesary

This is exactly how myth gets perpetuated and threads and discussions get out of hand.  I would suggest doing some real research about what happened during Sherman's march rather than expound old myths which were so greatly influenced by one Margaret Mitchell.  Moreover, you may want to read about what Bloody Bill Anderson was doing in Missouri just before Sherman started marching.  Anderson fits the model of the Angel of Death; Sherman was trying to win the war.

Eric
Thank you so much for that. I just hope that what you said is not beyond the reading comprehension and philosphical capabilities of some who most need to appreciate the full import of your post. I just wish I could have expressed what you said even half as well as you did.

Last edited on Thu Sep 4th, 2008 01:52 pm by CleburneFan

Close Window