View single post by TimK
 Posted: Sat Sep 20th, 2008 01:45 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
TimK

Mana: 

Will Greene wrote a good book about Petersburg.I set it down somewhere and can't find it at the moment, but I found it very interesting.

I suppose I felt the same way as ole and Iron Duke until I visited Petersburg. The town, in the early and mid 1800's was a very wealthy and bustling town. It appears now to have some struggles, and maybe that is another reason people are not inclined to visit. I guarantee you though, that if you have time to get out and visit the several sites in and around Petersburg, you will not leave thinking it is dull. Not only does the NPS have sites there, but the CWPT has saved several sites and have constructed several interpretive trails (like at White Oak Road and Reams Station). The NPS is building a new Information Station at Five Forks, and I think more interpretive trails. Remember Pickett and the shad bake? And then Lee's Retreat to Appomattox and the skirmishes along the way. Literally, after a visit, and walking through forts and seeing trenches, I found this area to be an untapped wealth of history.

Sorry to ramble. I know people that think the beginning and the end was Gettysburg, and that is all they want to know and care about. But don't soldiers that gave the ultimate at Sailors Creek, when the end was so close, deserve the same attention as the soldiers that paid at a sexier battlefield?

Just some thoughts - sorry again to ramble.

Close Window