View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Sat Sep 20th, 2008 01:54 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I don't know, Ole, but I've been thinking about the word "plodding" to describe Grant, and I have to admit, I don't see him as having a plodding personality. Dogged, maybe, but this is a man who is not comfortable just sitting and twiddling his thumbs. Think of Vicksburg, and his determination to break that seige, resorting to trying digging though the muck and mess, etc.--action, not just sitting. (Not that it worked right away of course) I don't see him willingly deciding to wait Lee out, though Lee was dug-in and, as you say, desperately holding on where he could. I don't see Grant, after the Overland Campaign, saying, willingly, "Okay, I'll wait him out for almost a year."

It seems to me (just learning this battle) that there must have been extenuating circumstances with the AoP. What, I'm just thinking about yet. Losses from the batttles in the chase south after Lee? Morale because of that? Plain exhaustion? It was closing in on the end of the war (even Lee knew that, if Jefferson Davis didn't), end of a long chase, and everyone was thinning in numbers and getting "wore out." But I still think the AoP should not have taken 10 months to break the siege, in theory, without other things coming into play.

Thoughts?

Pam

Close Window