View single post by Captain Crow
 Posted: Thu Oct 9th, 2008 09:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

ole wrote: Did we watch the same movie? The one I watched emphasized Longstreet's "slows." Yes, it painted a sympathetic (stress pathetic) picture of a reluctant Longstreet agonizing over what he had been ordered to do. I find that to be pandering to modern sensitivity -- kinda like introducing Ol' Yeller into the mix.isn't it strange how people can watch the same movie and draw completely different conclusions? I tend to agree that Gettysburg portrays Longstreet in a most sympathetic light. It highlights his frustration with lee's refusal to attempt a flanking move. And at the same time you see him struggling for self control out of respect for Lee's rank and character instead of pressing the issue in a more aggressive manner.
In almost every scene with Lee, Longstreet is seen bringing up valid points of contention regarding the decision to fight on that ground, constantly trying to dissuade Lee from pursuing what he obviously sees as a bad course of action.
But in the end he always acquiesces to Lee's opinions out of a sense of respect for rank, honor, and his obviously deep admiration for Lee. As for Longstreet's "slows" I've always felt that the movie underplayed this aspect. Sometimes one must carefully observe the subtleties of an actors performance such as gestures, facial expressions, and body language. These are tools that help an actor build a more three dimensional portrayal of their intended subject. Tom Beringer uses these to great effect in Gettysburg. I could argue this point into the wee hours but I think I'd rather just go watch Gettysburg for what is probably the 30th time...I lost count years ago:P.

Close Window