View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 01:38 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Every now and then I like to check out some of the discussions from the past, especially before I joined up here. Don't know if you folks do that, too.

Anyway, I was reading through this one about the sound of cannons started by Fan, and even though I know next to nothing about cannons and can't say it's a particular interest to me (if you can say there's anything about the Civil War that's NOT an interest to me!), I found myself reading through the whole thing with real interest. Not only was it chock full of interesting facts--I loved the part about how napoleons "ring" and rifled guns don't--it also warned me to watch out for reenactors singing at the top of their lungs and scaring off squirrels. Oh, and mostly, it reminded me again how much darn fun this chatting thing is.

It made me think back to my own rather limited experience with cannon: when I was just starting to get interested in the Civil War, I made my husband go to any sort of encampment within a 50 mile radius of Philadelphia so I could soak it up. One of the first was Civil War Days encampment of the 183 PA at Landis Valley Museum in Lancaster. I was able to experience Rickett's Battery's firing, and I'll tell you, when you can feel the sound of the discharge in your belly, that's a keeper. All I remember thinking was, "Wow!" I was able to see them there the next year, as well, and they gave a great show, again. 

So thanks for letting me dredge up that "bang" of a memory!

Pam

Close Window