View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 12:07 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Have finished Madness Under the Royal Palms. My mom is reading it now. I have a long list of family members who want to read it, because the scandals in the book played out on our local TV stations and in the Palm Beach Post. We all felt like spectators in the events or voyeurs if you will.

Now I'm reading a book I selected because Johnny Depp and Christian Bale will be appearing in Universal's movie "Public Enemies" in late Spring based on Depression-era bank robber extraordinaire, John Dillinger, and the G-man who relentlessly pursued him, Melvin Purvis. Depp plays Dillinger and is said to wear the very same size clothing. Bale plays Purvis. The director is Michael Mann.

The script is taken from information in the book Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34 by Bryan Burrough. While the movie deals with only the Dillinger and Purvis relationship, the book is much more complete, including such well known criminals as the Barker-Karpis gang, Clyde Barrow's and Bonnie Parker's gang, Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd and Machine Gun Kelly plus many others who operated throughout the US just before and during the Depression.

This is just one more book I am having a hard time putting down and find myself neglecting housework and other obligations to race through its action-packed pages.  The "real-life" Bonnie and Clyde saga is particularly interesting as is the story of the Barker-Karpis gang. Once I get through this great book, I plan to get back to my Civil War book pile.

Close Window