View single post by Devils Den
 Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 12:27 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Devils Den

Mana: 

Pam and Susan,

I am a gardener also.  Grew up tilling about 600 acres of land and we had cattle, hogs, and 3 poultry houses (66,000 chickens) to deal with.  When we sold the farm in the early 90's we kept about 15 acres and our garden (mini farm) takes up about 3 acres.

We do "plots" of sweet corn, silver queen and cotton candy mostly, tomatoes (I love a heirloom variety called, go figure, Abe Lincoln), peppers, squash and zuchs, limas and stringbeans, peas, carrots, beets, radishes, lettuce, asparagus, watermelon, pumpkin, cantalope, eggplant, and potatoes.

I also do about an acre of sunflowers, food plot for doves, but they sure do draw a lot of people who want photos!  I planted some mammoth grey stripes last year that hit 11 feet tall.

I have already started working the ground (discing-will plow in a couple of weeks) and will honestly say that nothing removes the winter blahs for me like working the land!  I know spring will soon be here when I get out their. 

Joe-Sevin is a staple for infestation, but when I have lettuce and greens coming on strong I drape them with a piece of cheese cloth to help cut down the "chewers", am trying to "ease off" on the spray a little as my little grand neice will be big enough to walk around soon. 

Let me know how you guys are making out or if you want a few mammoth seeds to try!

Chuck  - Devils Den

Close Window