View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 01:03 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Joe,

It depends on what you want to do with the squash as to what kind, I think. If I'm going to roast it, then I like acorn squash: halve it, clean the seeds out, put a big pat of butter and a generous amount of brown sugar in the hollow, and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until fork tender. For non-sweet squash, I usually use summer squash, yellow or zucchini, and halve it, drizzle olive oil on it, salt and pepper it, and bake it at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Pull it out, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving. Really easy.

If you're looking for something unique, try spaghetti squash. You halve it and clean out the seeds, and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 or so, or until fork tender. Then take it out, and using a fork, scrape up all the insides--they come out like spaghetti, hence the name. It's cool. I usually put either marinara sauce, or just garlic and oil on it, like I would spaghetti.

Howcome the dearth of squash in your life? I can understand the okra, but squash grows fast as rabbits here in PA in the summertime.

Pam

Close Window