View single post by csacook
 Posted: Sat Apr 4th, 2009 10:41 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
csacook

Mana: 

'You start with a chicken...'  we did get a couple roosters once and wrung their necks, plucked, gutted them, and put them on a spit...it was quite interesting, to say the least. There is nothing wrong with getting a fryer or two from the grocery store, just keep them on ice until you need them and DON'T STORE THEM WITH ANY THING ELSE, words to live by. It might be best to 'butterfly' (cut the spine out, cut two small holes in the skin near the thighs and tuck the leg knuckles in) them at home. Cut a 'green' stick in the shape of a Y about as thick as your thumb, whittle the ends sharp.  Season the bird with salt and pepper, skewer it as best you can on the two ends and stick the longer end in the ground, down wind, near the fire. Rotate the stick once in a while to roast it evenly, it 'll take 1-2 hours.
Then place some sweet potatoes around the edge of the coals rotating them once in a while, DON'T BURN! about 1-2 hours.
When everything is about 1/2 way done, put some med. size onions (skins on)next to the 'taters, rotating also,
DON'T BURN!
Yes, I could afford to do this 'cause my feet and knees didn't like me lugging around a rifle and tromping through the woods. Veggies out of season is no big deal unless you get in to cooking competitions, corn and beans don't look very good in the spring time. I've done biscuits from scratch on the side of a crate, but its a pain in the ass, make a bunch at home at the end of the week and put them in a sack. Oh yeh, You make them, not your mommy, girlfriend, or wife. You don't need to be a chef, but everyone does need to know how to cook.
Next time: Panfried parsnip and country ham patties, with a little chowchow on the side. YEEHHH, God I love cooking!

how do you like them apples?

Close Window