View single post by Johnny Huma
 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2009 08:58 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

I WILL AGREE WITH YOU CAPTIAN ON THE WASTE OF MANPOWER. BUT IF LEE WOULD HAVE HAD HIS VICTORY HERE IN PA THE WAR MAY HAVE WELL ENDED SO IT WAS QUITE A GAMBLE HE TOOK COMING HERE. ON THE RESOUCES, LEE WAS COMING NORTH TO GET RESOURCES SINCE THE CONFEDERACY COULD NOT SUPPLY HIM. HE HAD STARVING HORSES AND MEN THAT THE VIRGINA COUNTRYSIDE COULD NO LONGER FEED AND THE GOVERNMENT COULD NOT HELP HIM OUT WITH. SO THAT ALSO WAS A REASON TO BRING THE ARMY NORTH. HE NEEDED TO FEED THEM, AND HOPEFULLY IF ALL WENT WELL DRAW SOME TROOPS FROM VICKSBURG TO HELP RELIEVE THE SIEGE THERE. THAT DID NOT HAPPEN OF COURSE AND IF IT DID I THINK LEE WOULD HAVE REALLY HAD HIS  HANDS FULL. I BELIEVE LEE SEEN NO OPTIONS AT THIS POINT OF THE WAR OTHER THAN TO INVADE THE NORTH WITH HOPES THAT A STRING OF VICTORIES WOULD END THE WAR SO HE GAMBLED IT ALL. HE HAD EVERY RIGHT TO THINK HE COULD DO IT. HIS ARMY WAS WINNING VICTORY AFTER VICTORY AND WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR THE OLD MAN. I THINK WHAT LEE OVERLOOKED WAS HIS LOSSES BEFORE THIS BATTLE. LOSING STONEWALL WAS A MAJOR LOSS FOR THE SOUTH AND WOULD HAVE  TAKEN A BIG MAN TO FILL HIS SHOES  AND ALTHOUGH EWELL WAS A GOOD DIVISION COMMANDER WAS NOT TESTED AS A CORPS COMMANDER AND GETTSBURG WAS NOT THE PLACE FOR LEE TO FIND OUT THAT HE MAY HAVE BEEN A LITTLE TIMID.

HUMA

Close Window