View single post by Henry
 Posted: Fri Jun 12th, 2009 11:59 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Henry
Member
 

Joined: Wed Apr 8th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 43
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 

  back to top

The First Connecticut Heavy Artillery, originally the Fourth Connecticut Infantry, was the first volunteer organization that was mustered for three years into the service of the United States (May 22, 1861-September 25, 1865)

F. H. Abbott & Sons, Baltimore, Maryland received a contract from the War Department shortly after completing Monitor's plate to fabricate 30 Mortar beds for use on Western rivers.Abbott also manufactured mortar beds for David Dixon Porter's flotilla that bombarded the forts guarding New Orleans.

Thomas Fitch Rowland was awarded contracts for his Continental Ironworks, Greenpoint, Brooklyn, New York by the Naval Department soon after the Civil War began. One contract included work as sub-contractor to manufacture wrought iron beds for the 13 inch Seacoast Mortars for installation on Schooners of the flotilla of David Dixon Porter.

The army beachmaster in charge of accepting the ordnance from the navy and transporting it to the positions laid out by the engineers was Lt. Horace Porter. He describes the methods of transport of the heavy ordnance as follows:
" The heavy guns were landed by lowering them from the vessels into lighters having a strong decking built across their gunwales. They were towed ashore by row-boats at high tide, often in a heavy surf, and careened by means of a rope from shore, manned by soldiers, until the piece rolled off. At low tide this was dragged above the high-water mark.

 Close Window