View single post by bschulte
 Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 06:20 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: Brett -

Just finished reading your comparative analysis on the above questions. Fantastic job! I'd encourage everyone to head over to your blog to check it out.

One question I've often asked myself, and I can't remember if Eric or Sword touched on it. Most of the talk regarding flanking center on the Confederate right/ Union left. What about a flank move the other way (to the west of Privet Knob)? There may be something terrain-wise that made it impractical, but I wonder if it was considered.

Also, since the flooded river was bad enough to block the Union from continuing to Nashville, would that same flooded river (which practically surrounds Franklin) made ANY flanking move impractical?

Anyway, great job on the comparison pieces. I follow it faithfully.

javal1,

Thanks!  I think it was possible to attack the Union right terrain-wise, but there just wasn't enough time to get the job done.  As it was, the Confederates attacked at 4 P.M., and in late November, the sun sets not long afterward.  Still, that's an interesting question.  Maybe Eric will happen along and read this thread and he can shed some light on it.

Brett

Close Window