View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Tue Aug 25th, 2009 05:55 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

OK, Fedreb, as a Brit, I think you'll really like this.

My direct ancestor, Charles, and his brother David Churchill owned a well known shipyard in Portland, CT during the War of 1812--built the USS Boxer and Saranac and 2 privateers: Holkar I and II. Through newspaper databases, I've been able to track Holkar I's exploits--5 prizes betw. 11/12 and 5/13 when she was run aground off Narragansett By by frigate Orpheus and HMS Ramilies-36.

In December 1812, I think, Holkar took the SS Emu that had on board 43 women convicts en route to Australia. Capt. John Rowland had the women deposited at Tenerife, Canary Islands and they were picked up 2 months later and returned to England. Maybe another 5 months later the women departed a second time for Australia. On board 2nd ship was a Sir (forgot name) and his steward. The steward fell in love with one of the young women convicts and they married in Australia. I'm now in touch with their gdaughter who has written a book on Emu and the women. So if our Holkar had not captured Emu. . . . Pretty freaky, eh?

CKL 

Close Window