View single post by TimK
 Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 07:03 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
TimK

Mana: 

I was recently at Brice's Crossroads, the site of what is considered N.B. Forrest's greatest victory. I openly admit I am not a scholar, but know enough to be a little dangerous. I also realize that there is already a thread about this man that is fairly lengthy, but has not been added to in a couple years. I want to open up a slightly different thread, and in no way do I hope it gets inflammatory - I'm just looking for some insight.

According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know), there are 32 historical markers in Tennessee linked to NBF, which is more than the three presidents the state has produced. Numerous other parks, schools, counties, etc. are also named after him. Does anybody out there maybe feel a little uncomfortable sending their kid to N.B. Forrest Elementary School, not because of his military accomplishments, but because of his business ventures and social clubs? With a predominately northern perspective, I still would not have a problem sending my child to R. E. Lee or Thomas Jackson Middle School, but when I was in Memphis I was a little uncomfortable lunching in Forrest Park. Therein lies the conundrum. Any thoughts?

Close Window