View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Mon Nov 16th, 2009 05:43 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

Dear All,

I've romped through all the entries on this subtopic and find them interesting. Myself, I gave up on novels years ago and am now fairly guiltless about it. First, most writers write about people like themselves, creative types, with whom I can't identify. Also somehow depression is associated with creativity and you can forget that. Secondly, as one of my friends said: I can understand how you feel. You say to yourself, if these characters would just stop doing what they're doing, they wouldn't be suffering like this, Scarlett O'Hara being a prime example--she never grew up, while Rhett did.

My beef about historical novels by "big" authors is I ask myself: why should I be reading their version of events when I really want to know the real version of events? Good romantic historical novels, however, I like, or at least did as a teenager.

My all time favorite as a child was Rifles for Watie that won the Newberry Award for children's books. It's still in print and is very authentic and the author did a lot of research, including how cooks made clean drinking water from polluted ponds.

With all this said, I never thought I'd end up writing fiction, but I have: my book _South Under a Prairie Sky: The Journal of Nell Churchill, US Army Nurse & Scout_. It's set in my aunt's hometown of Monmouth, IL on the home front and mostly TN on the warfront. I have an underbook that sources every entry and separates fact from fiction where necessary. Everything in the book is fact based in some way. I used a lot of local sources such as the Monmouth Atlas newspaper from the 1860s and the Chicago Tribune, as well as ORA records and memoirs and letters. One cousin told me he read it in 7 hours straight, with a half hour off for dinner which made me feel good. I was also proud to be able to put in information about Swedes in the Civil War which no one covers. Many Swedes immigrated to enlist and be commissioned (to "get their tickets punched"). Count Vegesack was a Medal of Honor awardee. How many of you all know that a Swedish regiment fought with French forces at Yorktown and Swedish naval officers were on board Rochambeau's ships? The British were known to be the bullies of the Baltic and almost all of Europe went to war with them at the time of the Amer Rev.

Cheers!

C. Kay Larson

Close Window