View single post by skipperbob
 Posted: Sun Nov 22nd, 2009 10:53 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
skipperbob

Mana: 

New to the forum but not to the study of the CW. There is a question I have always wanted to ask those involved in reenacting. I know that in most descriptions of battles and maneuvers and in paintings of the time they show large bodies of men moving shoulder to shoulder on the battlefield but when I see videos of some reenactments trying to do that it seems very awkward to the point of some tripping etc... My question is, as veteran reenactors, do you feel that units really moved on the battlefield in such a bunched up, tight formation or by necessity did they give a little room to be able to move more effectively? I realize the importance of massed firepower and being able to change directions quickly but I would think that while moving they would have to spread out somewhat and then close up when forming a battle line. I would be very interested to hear from those who have experienced close drill movements on the field, do you naturally give yourself some extra room to be more efficient or do you really try and move shoulder to shoulder?

Close Window