View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Fri Dec 11th, 2009 09:39 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Unionblue-

The author of the piece you presented wrote: "This made the Confederacy an illegitimate government like the communist coups taking place on an hourly basis in South America." I would object to this comparison, not only to the author saying that the Confederates were acting like communists, but that they were pulling off a coup d'etat (A "stroke of state."). A coup d'etat can be loosely described as a deliberate violation of constitutional forms by a group of persons in order to replace an existing government with a new (And thus: "illegitimate") one.

The Confederates believed that they were acting within their rights granted by the US Constitution. They would have said that they were not exchanging one form of government for another by destroying the existing one. The colonists in 1776 were not trying to destroy the British Crown and replace it. They only sought to leave the Empire. Similarly, the Confederates were not out to destroy the existing US Government and replace it. They only sought to leave it. Both were similar in that they sought to change the legal status of the people in that sense.

I do not remember seeing the original post on this thread, but I have no interest in, nor have I made an attempt to, compare Mr. Jefferson's specific reasons justifying cutting the cord with Britain to the Confederates' reasons for leaving the US Government. Thus, it seems that my objectives here are more limited than yours. I would make a comparison by saying that both groups felt that their actions were justified based on violations of their rights by the existing governments.

You stated that: "No rebellion is grounded in law." The Confederates felt that there was a legal basis to justify their actions. They would not have characterized what they were doing as a : "rebellion" at all. Jefferson Davis' Inaugural Address, like the DOI, attempted to explain the reasons for the actions taken. Davis wrote: "When they (the states) entered into the Union in 1789, it was with the undeniable recognition of the power of the people to resume the authority delegated for the purposes of that government, whenever, in their opinion, its functions were perverted and its ends defeated." That, in their view, was what they were doing.

The Confederates' view of the US Constitution was that they were exercising their legal rights under the 9th and 10th Amendments to it, and that their new government was not: "illegitimate" (illegal) as your quoted author claims.

Last edited on Fri Dec 11th, 2009 10:31 am by Texas Defender

Close Window