View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Tue Jan 5th, 2010 11:18 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I can do three rounds a minute, providing I start w/ a round loaded. In Earl Hess recent book he analyzes quite a few ACW engagements and IIRC found only two that approached that 3 rounds a minute rate of fire.  I have only ever found one, Allatoona in Oct 1864.

I do shoot a lot (used to not so much right now), I have shot w/ bayonets fixed, both a standard triangular and a sabre. Loading w/ the triangular was really no more difficult than w/out the sabre was another matter altogether. In both cases the balance and accuracy was dramaticly decreased as it did significantly change the balance of the weapon.

In the case of the triangular I was using a very accurate repop. The Sabre was actually a third again heavier than an original but I can't see it making much of a difference.

It is important to understand it takes no time at all to fix bayonet. I've never timed myself but I can say the sabre goes on faster than the triangular but in both cases I can put that bayonet on in well under 6 seconds... about the time it takes to draw, chamber & fire the first round in a modern semi auto pistol.

Last edited on Tue Jan 5th, 2010 11:20 pm by Johan Steele

Close Window