View single post by Whyme Two
 Posted: Mon May 3rd, 2010 04:21 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Whyme Two

Mana: 

Battle of Gaines Mills June 27, 1862

(from Wikipedia)

The Confederate attack continued on June 27 and Reynolds, exhausted from the Battle of Gaines' Mill and two days without sleep, was captured in Boatswain's Swamp, Virginia. Thinking he was in a place of relative safety, he fell asleep and was not aware that his retreating troops left him behind. He was extremely embarrassed when brought before the Confederate general of the capturing troops; D.H. Hill was an Army friend and colleague from before the war. Hill allegedly told him, "Reynolds, do not feel so bad about your capture, it is the fate of wars."[7] Reynolds was transported to Richmond and held at Libby Prison, but was quickly exchanged on August 15 (for Lloyd Tilghman

How does the commander of a brigade get left behind as the brigade retreats? Who in the brigade ordered the retreat? Where were his aides? I was unable to find very little written about my questions. Had I been Reynolds upon my release back to the army I would have hunted down the many aides and punish them for incompetence.

The act of getting left behind by your brigade as it retreats tells a tale in its self regarding the very organization of the brigade and how its commander was viewed.

Very little is written about this subject. Does anybody know aof sources to learn more?

Close Window