View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Tue Jun 15th, 2010 07:02 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Mark-

Of course there is only one absolute truth in history, but history is always told from a point of view. Therefore, different people view the reality through different lenses.

In our system of freedom of the press, well known figures (especially those who are deceased) have always been convenient subjects for authors who wish to stir up controversial subjects. This tradition in our country goes back at least as far as the presidential election in 1800 when Thomas Jefferson hired agents to dig up: "Dirt" on John Adams (Who was accused, among other things, of trying to set up a monarchy with himself as king).

So, of course Thomas Connelly was able to write a book that might have been less than complimentary of Robert E. Lee. I say: "Might have been" because I have not read that book.

Since I have not read the book, I don't know what Connelly said that you believe is the: "Opposite" of what I have written about General Lee. I have read some reviews of the Connelly book. If these are accurate, it seems to me that Connelly's real target is the so-called: "Lost Cause Syndrome" movement, which included some who were trying to create myths to build up the image of Lee as a person whose moral character and leadership could not be challenged.

There were some who wanted to portray General Lee as some kind of god. No doubt they had various motivations for wanting to do so. But I don't believe that Lee himself ever sought any form of aggrandizement.

If others sought to build up the image of Robert E. Lee as being godlike, I don't see how he can be blamed for it. By 1870, he was dead. The controversy and bitter wrangling between prominent figures of the CSA took place mostly after that.

While admitting that I haven't examined Connelly's book, I would maintain that: "Exposing" the fact that Lee was a human being and not a god does not diminish Lee in any way. He had his human frailties as I have said previously. If Robert E. Lee had in fact been the perfect: "Marble Man," then in my view he would have been a much less interesting person to study.

Last edited on Tue Jun 15th, 2010 07:05 pm by Texas Defender

Close Window