View single post by 9Bama
 Posted: Mon Aug 2nd, 2010 03:15 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
9Bama

Mana: 

barrydancer wrote: 9Bama wrote

Sorry tim,

Youhave that backwards.

Those things are done due to public law as they should be becaues they are public property and should be accessable to all... private property is a different animal all toghether..

Where does the government get off telling a private busisnessman what he must or must not do with his property?

Got it.  Private businessman.  If he doesn't want to provide handicap access, government doesn't have the right to require him to do so.  The handicapped who want to shop or visit the establishment should just get over it. 

How about, I dunno, sprinkler systems or fire exits?  Does the state or local government have a right to mandate those, or as a private businessman can he set up shop in a plywood shanty and force people to work and shop in unsafe conditions?

How about if he doesn't want to serve black people, or women?  Can the government force the issue or does the private businessman get to serve only who he wants?

Does a private business that caters to the public get to pick and choose which members of the public it serves?  I would argue it doesn't.

In regards to the Gettysburg church, like it or not, there are numerous structural, electrical, and fire standards that new buildings have to meet.  Were this an actual historic building, there wouldn't be an issue.  As a modern reproduction, however, it has to meet local, state, and federal codes. 

I suppose you have to define your terms... there are thousands of businesses that fit the criteria you discuss...serving the public..... there are thousands of businesses that do not... a good example is this forum. Should Joe have to provide handicapped access to his business when he does not deal with the public at THAT location? At what cost? Who pays for it?

AS time goes on you will finde more and more businesses that serve very specialiazed publics and often not even in the state the business is physically in.

Close Window