View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Tue Aug 10th, 2010 01:52 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I spent the morning researching this question. It was not in Castel's book but I found an exact reference in the excellent book "War Like the Thunderbolt: The Battle and Burning of Atlanta" by Russell S. Bonds.

On page 456 of Bond's book in the "Notes" section, he refers to this reference...James H Wilson, Under the Old Flag: Recollections of Military Operations in the War for the Union, The Spanish War, The Boxer Rebellion, Etc. (New York: D. Appleton& Co., 1912, vol , page 13.)

One thing I found out in the search of my books that I believed might lead to the exact source of  Sherman's quote was that many authors refer to this saying but do not reference the source. I began to wonder if Sherman ever actually said it or was just famously rumored to have said it. But now we see that cavalry man and topographical engineer Wilson claims to have heard it and wrote of it in his lengthy memoirs.

By the way, in my research, I discovered that Sherman had other unflattering things to say about "Kill-Cavalry." One was about his proclivity to kill men and horses. 

My favorite quote about Kilpatrick was from an officer whose name I have never been able to find that called the cavalry man a "frothy braggart." Gotta love it.:D

Last edited on Tue Aug 10th, 2010 01:56 pm by CleburneFan

Close Window