View single post by John in PA
 Posted: Sat Oct 23rd, 2010 12:25 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
John in PA

Mana: 

I shoot a10-Pounder Parrott rifle in live fire competition with the N-SSA, and also shoot long range competition out at Camp Grayling in Michigan.  One of the interesting things about the clip is the intermittent whistle you hear, barely audible on the outgoing clip, but plainly audible on the downrange clip as the shell is incoming toward the camera.  It is the sound of air rushing over the fuse hole as the shell rolls slowly during it's flight.  the pitch varies from high to low because as the shell rotates, the hole alternately has air rushing over it from different directions.  As the shell gets closer, the sound of it roaring through the air predominates, and after the explosion of the bursting charge, you hear the combined sound of jagged shell fragments ripping through the air combined with the echo of the explosion.

If you get on Paulson Brothers Ordnance website, and go to the section titled "Action" you'll find many clips of 1860's artillery being fired at military bases, most at hard targets with exploding ammunition.  (this is only legal to do on a military base, as practicing it anywhere else would get you an immediate, and lengthy stay at Hotel Leavenworth!!

If you live anywhere near Winchester VA and are interested in seeing Mortars and cannon live fired at targets, come visit the N-SSA National Matches, held May and October every year.  Usually around 50 cannon of various types, and anywhere from 50-75 mortars (largest being 8" Seige mortars) Attendance is free to the public.  check CleburneFan wrote:
Hamy3 wrote:
I'd love to see one of these things fired!! It must be spectacular!!

Doug

Hamy, this is second best to being there when a thirteen incher is fired,

Here is a You Tube video of a actual 13 Inch Seacoast mortar being fired. It is much longer video and the sound is even more terrifying. I hope this link works. I've tried it three times now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v7bLf2ipmA&feature=related

Close Window