View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sat Jul 16th, 2011 04:40 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

There were several hospitals in the area during the battle according to Plate 94, map 6 of The Offical Military Atlas of the Civil War. Books too big for my scanner, I had to take photos using a magnifier for the clearest image, and it's not that clear. For a clearer view of this map try
http://contentdm.baylor.edu/19wor/19wor_atlas_v2_094_06/. The map is supposed to be linked to Volume 36 of The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Offcicia; Records of the Union and Confederate Armies.

Any rate, the map does show where the Furnaces are, though it doesn't show Brock Road. According to the 162/17th Pa site posted ealier, during the Wilderness the regiment saw action at Brock Road and the Furnaces on the 6th. Now the only hospital which had a speific date given with it was attached to the 6th Corps, which on the 7th was near the Artillery Reserve and Wright. I'm assuming the possibility that none of the others may have moved. Which then put's the 2nd Corps hospital postion at Carpenter near to the Furnaces.

Last edited on Tue Jul 19th, 2011 10:09 pm by Hellcat

Close Window