View single post by pender
 Posted: Fri Aug 19th, 2011 08:23 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pender

Mana: 

Gentlemen, Since I brought up Georgia. I would like to ask a question? As all know when A.P.Hill was promoted at the death of Stonewall Jackson, William D. Pender was to receive Hills old post as division commander of the Light Division. But at Gettysburg Pender received a mortal wound. He died shortly there after, Cadmus M. Wilcox got command of the Light Division. Now nothing against Wilcox I personally like him. But in IMO I think Edward L. Thomas should have received command of the Light Division. He had been with the Light Division since he replaced Joseph R. Anderson. Anderson had returned to Richmond to run the Tredegar Iorn Works. Thomas remained with the Light Division till Appomattox as the Brigade commander of the Georgia brigade of the Light Division. Some feel as if Thomas did not receive the Light Division command due to the fact that there was two N.C. brigade's. Wilcox was born in N.C. but moved to Tennessee when he was two. I think it was a mistake not putting Thomas as the Light Division's commander. Who do you all think should have been given the Light Division after Pender's death.

Pender  

Close Window