View single post by Kennith A. Simpson
 Posted: Fri Sep 16th, 2011 01:23 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Kennith A. Simpson

Mana: 

I hope someone out there can be of assistance.  My great, great, grandfather was Mathew Nathan Ford.  Mathew lived in what once was a part of the state of Virginia.  Wyoming County, Turkey Wallow Hollor, little place called Wolf Pen.  Around January 25 1863, Mathew was serving as a civilian scout for a group of Confederate soldiers.  Mathew was not a Confederate Soldier himself.  Mathew was taken prisoner by Union forces and between Jan 25th and February 25 was transported to Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio.  Camp Chase was a Union base that served as both a training facility and Union Prison for POW's.   While a prisoner at the camp, Mathew became ill with Typhoid Fever and died on the 10th or 11th of July 1863.  For some reason his body was taken to a potter's cemetery on the outskirts of Columbus and buried instead of being buried with the Confederate soldiers that died in the camp.

I have managed to piece together the story and am only missing a few important ingrediants.  I am unable to find any military actions during that time frame in the Wyoming County or Turkey Wallow Hollow area.  I am trying to determine which unit or soldiers Mathew was acting as a scout for.  I would like to know if he was involved in any major activities or if he just came across a group of lost Confederates and tried to do the right thing and guide them back to their unit.  In any case Mathew was officially listed as a Rebel Scout for Rebel Forces.  

Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Close Window