View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sun Nov 13th, 2011 06:25 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I don't think it's cause of the situation that caused Gettysburg to get more attention. Battles the North lost in the east seem to have recieved more attention than those won in the west. And look at how the war is taught in elementary and high school today. When I was in school it was Fort Sumter, First Bull Run (First Manassas), a little on the Peninsula Campaign, the Monitor and the Virginia, Forts Henry and Donelson, Shiloh (Pittsburg Landing), Second Bull Run (Second Manassas), Antietam (Sharpsburg), Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Petersburg, a little on Mobile Bay, Sherman's March to the Sea, the fall of Richmond, and Appomatox Courthouse. You look at most of that, it's mostly stuff from the Eastern Theater. If I just went by the textbooks that were used at the schools I attended then I'd have had no idea that Sherman had to first fight to take Atlanta before he began the March to the Sea, I'd have never known about the names of any of the battles of the Peninsula campaign, or that Grant didn't come east immediately after Vicksburg. Nothing about the fall of New Orleans, or Nashville, or Chatanooga, or Corinth, or Franklin. All that happened at Mobile Bay was that the Confederates placed mines, aka torpedoes, in the water and Faragut said "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" according to how things were taught. Nothing about what the torpedoes were or about the actual battle that took place. The focus was on the battles between the Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of the Potomac. And even that's ironic considering what the armies that fought at both Bull Run (Manassas) battles were. I learned more about the war at home than I did in school, and learned it wasn't all about the Eastern Theater there.

But looking at what I can find on media I see more on the Eastern Theater being reported at the time. It really seems that even then the focus was more on what was going on in the east and less on the west. You'd think with more victories taking place out west that the newspapers would have wanted to hype them to the people, give them something to celebrate about.

Close Window