View single post by ole
 Posted: Thu Dec 29th, 2011 05:20 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

BHR62 wrote:
Ole...I agree Hood was in a very desperate situation after Atlanta.  He knew he couldn't stop Sherman in battle (but he would have at least slowed him down).    I'm sure Hood realized the war was all but over after Atlanta.  So he hoped Sherman would follow him away from the heart of Georgia and buy additional time for the Confederacy.  As you stated...his army was in bad shape heading into colder climate.  But Sherman was confident Thomas could handle Hood so he didn't take the bait.  I understand Hood's decision but doing it left all of Georgia wide open.  Yet the south doesn't bash Hood for abandoning them to Sherman's Army.
Hood couldn't have stopped Sherman. He sent Wheeler to do it, but Wheeler couldn't either.

Consider this: if Hood could get have gotten ahead of Sherman, how would he do that? Word has it that Sherman stripped or destroyed everything. Hood can't exactly follow that path. He'd have had to make an end run around the advancing 60,000 hardened veterans.

Wheeler's people (and some old men and boys) were the only troops between Sherman and Savannah, and Sherman appeared to be a master at bamboozling. Wheeler was reduced to hunting down foragers and generally doing as much damage as Sherman was doing to the civilian population.

Yes. Hood was between a rock and a hard place: do nothing or do something desperate. What that something would have been, I have no way of figuring out what I would do in his situation.

Close Window