View single post by BHR62
 Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2012 10:57 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
BHR62

Mana: 

Cobb was a fierce competitor and he wanted the game played traditional style. Ruth comes along and forever changed the game of baseball with his power. It didn't go over well with Cobb. Ruth came along when Cobb's career was winding down didn't he? I know they played against each other but I was thinking Cobb was approaching retirement when Ruth took off.

People like to try and say so and so is the greatest ever. I think you have to look at the eras the oldtimers played in. Compare them to their peers. Ruth towered over the players of the 20's and 30's. Nobody even hit half the HRs he had when he retired with 714. The guy was a monster.  His training regimen was hot dogs, cold beer, and women.  If the guy had taken care of himself God knows what he would have accomplished.  But...he had a hell of a good time doing it!

I did get to meet a baseball star from the 1920 Cincinnati Reds one time in the early 80's. His name was Edd Roush. I got to talk to him for about an hour on his career. He showed me all kinds of stuff he had from baseball. I got his autograph. It was really cool talking to a Hall of Famer.

Last edited on Sat Jan 21st, 2012 11:02 am by BHR62

Close Window