View single post by BHR62
 Posted: Sat Feb 25th, 2012 03:04 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
BHR62

Mana: 

I think you are selling Lincoln far, far short by saying he did it purely for political reasons.  He was a typical white guy of the 1800's.  It was taken for granted in the north and south that blacks were inferior.  He and the north just didn't believe in human bondage for the most part.  His 1858 Senatorial run against Douglas was extremely appalling as far as race relations is concerned.  Democrats went after him full force using every racial slur they could possibly think of on him and the Republicans.  His long term goal in coming into office was to confine slavery to the south with the hope of it whithering away peacefully.  The south thought he was a fire breathing abolitionist to the point they broke away.  So he had anti-slavery views already expressed before taking office.

His post war ideas ranged widely on what to do with the freed blacks.  He considered shipping them all to Africa and I think he even considered Central America as a possible place...which was an impossible task.  From what I can remember he gave up on these ideas and was in the process of setting a post war policy towards the south and the freed slaves when he was shot.  When he died the radicals took over with the full intention of making the south suffer terribly for the war. 

Close Window