View single post by sgtredleg
 Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2012 08:51 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
sgtredleg
Life NRA, CW Trust, VFW member

Mana: 

pender wrote:
Gentlemen, Since I brought up Georgia. I would like to ask a question? As all know when A.P.Hill was promoted at the death of Stonewall Jackson, William D. Pender was to receive Hills old post as division commander of the Light Division. But at Gettysburg Pender received a mortal wound. He died shortly there after, Cadmus M. Wilcox got command of the Light Division. Now nothing against Wilcox I personally like him. But in IMO I think Edward L. Thomas should have received command of the Light Division. He had been with the Light Division since he replaced Joseph R. Anderson. Anderson had returned to Richmond to run the Tredegar Iorn Works. Thomas remained with the Light Division till Appomattox as the Brigade commander of the Georgia brigade of the Light Division. Some feel as if Thomas did not receive the Light Division command due to the fact that there was two N.C. brigade's. Wilcox was born in N.C. but moved to Tennessee when he was two. I think it was a mistake not putting Thomas as the Light Division's commander. Who do you all think should have been given the Light Division after Pender's death.

Pender  

Hey all,
I've had my curiosity piqued since reading this post. In my research I have always viewed Brigadier Gen. E. Thomas as a solid commander and found no reason that he should not have been promoted when the ANV lost Major Gen. Pender.
Over the last several weeks I've been reading Douglas S. Freemans 3 vol. set of Lee's Lieutenants. I find it an excellent resource for garnering details of the command and overall actions of the ANV.
After Gettysburg, one analysis concerning the consideration of Gen. Penders replacement caught my attention.
General Lee apparently thought Gen. Thomas was a fully capable officer, apparently ready for Division command. However, " as he commanded the Georgia unit in a Division that included two North Carolina Brigades and one South Carolina Brigade, his advancement, said Lee, might "create dissatisfaction." ( pg. 201 Vol. 3, Lee's Lieutenants, D. S. Freeman ).
I too, admire Gen Cadmus Wilcox and believed he achieved much in his various commands. But it appears that it was politics more than anything that kept Gen. Thomas from advancement.

:?

Close Window