View single post by Old Blu
 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 09:26 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Old Blu

Mana: 

Mark wrote: Old Blu, I would argue that even with Stuart's discretionary orders, Lee always assumed that one of Stuart's implied tasks would be to report on the movements of the Army of the Potomac. That is simply what cavalry is always supposed to do. Once he lost contact with the ANV, Stuart failed in the primary task of a cavalryman.

On Imboden, I agree with you that he was doing what Lee asked him to do, but Lee had him out on the Western flank of the army because his outfit had a reputation for partisan raiding rather than traditional cavalry work. This arrangement left Jenkins brigade screening the army and no one feeling out ahead of the army because Stuart was out of contact.

Sources:
Stephen Sears, "Gettysburg" p. 57, 118-119.
Noah Trudeau, "Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage" p. 530

Hope that clarifies things.

Mark

You don't clearafy anything because you fail to see the logistics of Stuarts March and his orders by General Lee.

Where was Ewell when Stuart crossed the Potomac??

I suggest you read either Steve French's book or Tuckers Book and learn about General Imboden. He was a trusted General by Lee and for that he had the responsibility of Lee's wagon train which he saved at Williamsport/Falling Waters. So far from what you have posted convinces me you don't know the facts concerning Stuart and Imboden.

Another good book about Stuart is the book by Eric Wittenberg, "Plenty of Blame to go Around".

Imboden organized the Staunton Artillery and was the captain in Stonewalls Army.  So, no, he was in the army first then he became a partisan ranger.  He didn't get a fair shake from those that had a West Point education because he went to VMI.

blu

Last edited on Mon May 7th, 2012 09:27 pm by Old Blu

Close Window