View single post by JG6789
 Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2012 04:58 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
JG6789

Mana: 

Old Blu wrote: Perhaps you know enough about General Early to answer the question, 'What did Early write that was wrong?'?

To be honest, I had been avoiding answering this question because I sensed that it was bait meant to open up a line of argument exactly like the one I see developing here.  I’m not interested in tu quoque defenses of slavery, especially ones that rest on ridiculously false equivalencies.  I’m not interested in arguing the morality of Early's social theories.  You asked for a false statement from Early.  Mark provided one, and I added to it:

"The condition of domestic slavery, as it existed in the South, had not only resulted in a great improvement in the moral and physical condition of the negro race, but had furnished a class of laborers as happy and contented as any in the world, if not more so."

We probably should have avoided slavery and stuck to Early’s interpretations of the war, which are full of distortions and lawyerly manipulations that are disingenuous at best, dishonest at worst. 

Here’s a question for you: if you do not believe Early’s own stated reasons for why he left the country after the war, why would you believe anything else he wrote?  

Last edited on Thu Jun 7th, 2012 05:12 pm by JG6789

Close Window