View single post by BHR62
 Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2012 03:38 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
BHR62

Mana: 

I've always had a lot of respect for the WW 2 generation.  They grew up in the Depression and at 18 were handed rifles to go fight the Japs and Germans.  Yet they did this with a hell of a lot less whinning than today's generation.  My father passed away in May.  He was in the WW 2 generation.  He served in Patton's 3rd Army and was awarded a ton of decorations including the Silver Star and 3 Purple Hearts.  My mother grew up in Hitler's Third Reich.  She was a teenager at wars end.  She talks so casually about what it was like getting bombed and being in a nation that was getting crushed by its adversaries.  Things she talks about like going down stairs with blown in window frames from the bombs and while bombs are still falling and exploding she made her way to the bomb shelter.  Or seeing Munich completely devastated.  Makes me feel like all the whinning I did growing up seem so petty.  

This past Friday my mom's neighbor passed away.  He was 95 and a vet of the 101st Airborne in WW 2.  Its really sad to see this generation passing away.  When I was little you couldn't turn around without bumping into a WW 2 vet.  Now it seems that a great generation is almost gone.  All that personal history will soon be soon gone.  Just seems like we are losing so much history with the passing of this generation.

Close Window