View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Tue Sep 4th, 2012 01:24 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

dlaurencerogers-

I would maintain that the abolitionist movement was: "Launched" long before 1826, though it gained great strength in the 1830s and 1840s. More credit for that in my view should be given to such figures as William Lloyd Garrison, Wendell Phillips, and Theodore Dwight Weld than to the: "Reformed Kentucky slaveholder" James G. Birney. (Who owned slaves until 1834).

American abolitionist movement 

I would give Mr. Birney credit for making James K. Polk president by costing Henry Clay the 36 electoral votes of NY in the Election of 1844. But that is another story.

As for the Cherokees (Many of whom owned black slaves), they were divided voluntarily and later uprooted involuntarily a few years after President Jackson refused to recognize the Supreme Court Decision Worcester v. Georgia (1832). It was the former Attorney General William Wirt who represented the Cherokees in Cherokee Nation v. Georgia (1831) and Worcester v. Georgia.

As for Mr. Lincoln's plans to offer compensation to slaveholders- they were never accepted in the northern or border states. Many abolitionists, such as Mr. Garrison himself, strongly opposed the idea. Mr. Lincoln tried at various times but got nowhere. (Except in the case of Washington, DC, in 1862).

Compensated Emancipation - Abraham Lincoln

In his famous letter to James Conkling (26 August 1863), Mr. Lincoln reminds some of his unhappy fellow Unionists that they opposed the idea of compensated emancipation (See paragraph beginning with: "To be plain, you are dissatisfied with me about the negro." ).

Abraham Lincoln's Letter to James Conkling

As with Mr. Lincoln's unsuccessful plans to export blacks to places such as Central America and to the Caribbean, compensated emancipation plans were generally a great failure. Slaveholders in the states that seceded were never put in the position to have to consider the question. Your contention that Mr. Lincoln's plans failed because southerners rejected the idea is inaccurate.

The idea that mainstream southerners were: "Intractable slaveholding duelists" was one of a number of caricatures of them, having no basis in fact. It is not my characterization. It is the one seen in your first posting on this thread. Such things were popular with certain journalists of that day as well as some that came later. It seems that you would have fit right in as one of them.

Last edited on Tue Sep 4th, 2012 04:01 am by Texas Defender

Close Window