View single post by Savez
 Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2012 01:54 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Savez
$user_title

Mana: 

"We are fighting for independence and that, or extermination, we will have. You may emancipate every negro in the Confederacy, but we will be free. We will govern ourselves . . . if we have to see every Southern plantation sacked, and every Southern city in flames."

---Jeff Davis, July 1864

“Everyone should do all in his power to collect and disseminate the truth, in the hope that it may find a place in history and descend to posterity. History is not the relation of campaigns and battles and generals or other individuals, but that which shows the principles for which the South contended and which justified her struggle for those principles. ”

---Robert E. Lee

“The contest is really for empire on the side of the North, and for independence on that of the South, and in this respect we recognize an exact analogy between the North and the Government of George III, and the South and the Thirteen Revolted Provinces. These opinions…are the general opinions of the English nation.”

---London Times, November 7, 1861

“The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states.”

---Charles Dickens, 1862

“It is stated in books and papers that Southern children read and study that all the blood shedding and destruction of property of that conflict was because the South rebelled without cause against the best government the world ever saw; that although Southern soldiers were heroes in the field, skillfully massed and led, they and their leaders were rebels and traitors who fought to overthrow the Union, and to preserve human slavery, and that their defeat was necessary for free government and the welfare of the human family. As a Confederate soldier and as a citizen of Virginia, I deny the charge, and denounce it as a calumny. We were not rebels; we did not fight to perpetuate human slavery, but for our rights and privileges under a government established over us by our fathers and in defense of our homes.”

---Colonel Richard Henry Lee

There are reports floating that we are about to make a proposition to France and England that if they will recognize us...we will emancipate the slaves within twenty-five years... For my part I am in favor of it, and so is every man I have heard speak about it. If we continue to lose ground as we have for the last twelve months, we will soon be defeated, and then slavery will be gone anyway. I think it is better that we should give up slavery and gain our independence. There is no doubt in my opinion that we are gone unless something is done for our welfare and very quick.

---Robert Patrick, 4th Louisiana  (Southern Invincibility; Wiley Sword. p 320)

“Our poor country has fallen a prey to the conqueror. The noblest cause ever defended by the sword is lost. The noble dead that sleep in their shallow though honored graves are far more fortunate than their survivors. I thought I had sounded the profoundest depth of human feeling, but this is the bitterest hour of my life.”

---Colonel John Singleton Mosby

(I) have always been a friend to the negro...have stood for his rights and represented him when it was really perilous to do so.

"Richmond papers advocate the abolition of slavery. This is my platform. We have to fight the war on slavery-it must fall, and the sooner, the better for us."

---John W. Inzer,  Lt. Colonel of the 58th Alabama Infantry

Close Window