View single post by Darryl
 Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2012 01:53 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Darryl

Mana: 

Guys, I read alot of bantering back and forth over this and after alot of study, I believe very little from the modern day historians and their books. TOO many modern historians come out with "earth shattering NEW results and findings" to promote their books. 95% of them have a historican axe to grind so they can be recognized for important contributions to the genre. BULL! Hindsight is 20/20 anybody with half a mind can pick apart an event to fit their mind's direction. I have found out that a great many writers will go along with the accepted theories of warfare at the time to make their point whenever a figure deviates from one.
Yes, Napoleon stated that he who stays in his defenses is lost. That I agree with up to a certain point. Just like a good offense is a good defense. Yes, to a certain degree. But finding that degree not to take it to the limit to where you become just another banal hack trying to make a point is something that is missed too much these days.
Another person that just grates me to no end is the one who comes and his/her opinion or viewpoint is the one and only. And in extremely rude displays of selfrightousness let you know it in no uncertain terms! I had a gent who wrote and would have fought me if we had been close enough in his belief that the British NEVER had in mind to send any help to the CSA. Dispite three credible references, including British home secretary records, he was not going to change his mind!
I was taught something years ago when I took a course in writing, especially the one in Technical Writing. And its a little mot I've tried, unsuccessfully at times, to remember. "Be careful how you write that you don't make a fool of yourself."
There are few good historians. They are the ones who report the event, unbaisedly, and let you draw your own conculsions. Its okay to make your point, but don't be foolish in doing it.

Close Window