View single post by samhood
 Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2012 02:43 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
samhood

Mana: 

Gents/Ladies:

I'm not sure if you heard but the personal papers of John Bell Hood were recently discovered. I am second cousin of Gen Hood and last summer when finishing the manuscript of my book "John Bell Hood: The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of a Confederate General" (Savas Beatie Publishing, Spring 2013) I was contacted by a great-grandson of the General and invited to inspect several boxes of old family papers. I found all of Hood's personal papers, his work papers from his memoirs "Advance and Retreat", and approximately 100 post-war letters between him and his wife Anna.

Among the letters were three independent witnesses who identify Hood's subordinate who was responsible for the Federal escape at Spring Hill, a letter from one of Hood's corps commanders explaining Patrick Cleburne's peculiar behavior before and during the battle of Franklin, and a letter from Hood to Louis T Wigfall that explains why Hood was writing to Richmond authorities from Georgia in the spring of 1864. Documents back up Hood's claims that Joe Johnston lost 20-25,000 troops during the Dalton to Atlanta Campaign (mostly to desertions), and that Hood's version of the Cassville affair was totally correct. Information from these letters are presented in my book being released next spring.

Also in the papers were Dr John T Darby's highly detailed reports of Hood's Gettysburg and Chickamauga woundings and recovery. The types and precise dosages of medicatons given to Hood during his recuperation are recorded daily.

The collection includes Hood's orders and dispatches book and four telegram logs from his time as commander of the Army of Tennessee.

I am in the process of transcribing all the documents and writing an annotated book of Hood's papers. Because of the maginitude or the collection it will probably be early 2014 before it is published and copies of the papers placed in a public archive.

The letters will give scholars a much more in-depth look into John Bell Hood as a commander, husband, father, and citizen.

Sam Hood
Huntington WV

Close Window