View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2013 10:44 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, this makes things even more confusing, http://home.earthlink.net/~khsociety/general/general.pdf. At the top of page 12 is what's claimed to be an early 20th century postcard image of the General on display at Chatanooga's Union Depot. The image is a color image showing a black locomotive with gold trim. Though looking at the tender it (the tender) could be a very dark forest green. I'm undecided if that is actually black with gold trim or so dark a forest green as to look almost black. The cab of the locomotive could also be the same color as the tender if it's a dvery dark forest green as the lighting makes it hard on me to decide the color there. The picture of the General on at the bottom of page 13, appearently showing the General arriving in Kennesaw in 1962, shows the locomotive in the colors it sports today. So that's two different color schemes which takes me back to my original question and also raises a second one. Was the early 20th century photo taken in color or was the color added later and the artist just selected a color scheme.

I know I've looked at color photos from around the turn of the 20th century and they largely look too me like the color was added later, though I know color photography existed at that time. Here this largely looks too natural to my untrained eye to have been painted later. I say largely because I look at the brick work and some times it doesn't seem to jive with the rest of the image as it seems too pastel while other times it seems as natural as the rest.

Close Window