View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Thu Jan 17th, 2013 10:02 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Still doing research on this. I did come up with this, http://48thpennsylvania.blogspot.com/2009/01/ezra-carman-stonewall-jackson-and.html. I did find the article mentioned there, http://www.americanheritage.com/content/stonewall-jackson%E2%80%99s-deadly-calm. Also I read Dr. Lowry's footnote in The Story the Soldiers Wouldn't Tell: Sex in the Civil War on the subject. The footnote reads:

27. Unsigned note in the handwriting of Bvt. Brig. Gen. Ezra A. Carman, U.S.A., in National Archives RG 84: Records of the Adjutant General's Office, "Antietam Studies," box 2, in folder labeled "Report of Brig. Gen. John R. Jones, Cmdg. Jackson's Division, Artillery of Jackson's Division. (Noted by M Musick), R. K. Krick cautions: "Carman was not creating a hozx here, he genuinely believed what he heard, but neither is the confirmed." Caveat lector.

Ok, now what I've gotten off the above links the afforementioned military family was just Confederates. But that first thread has me asking how long cadets were in West Point for each year as 20 years before 1863 would have been 1843. Jackson began at West Point in 1842, would he only have taken two months of classes so that he could have ten months off to serve as "constable of Lewis County?" 1843 would certainly be during his time at West Point, cooperating what Carman had said about when the child had been born. But everthing I'm finding, except for the 20 years before 1863 and the name of the supposed mother, keeps me coming back to the idea that the illegitimate child was actually his newphew's birth.

Of course twenty years may not actually be twenty-years, it does some some twenty years before, that could be twenty years ago or just over or under twenty years before.

Last edited on Thu Jan 17th, 2013 10:05 am by Hellcat

Close Window