View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Wed Jun 26th, 2013 04:51 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

My mistake, I misread his rank and posted as a higher naval rank.

On Forsyth I've been skimming through a PDF on Lee's Legion (Lee's Legion Remembered and was starting to get a little concerned when I wasn't immediately seeing his name. Then I found this paragraph on a search for it.

On 7 April 1778, Lee’s contingent was formally separated from the 1st Continental Light Dragoons; and Lee was promoted to Major-commandant and authorized by Congress, at General Washington’s request, to augment his unit from one to two troops with a mind to forming an independent corps.5 The first troop was command by Capt. William Lindsay; the second by Capt. Henry Peyton; with a focal recruiting post being set up in Charles County,
Maryland. On 28 May, their number was further increased to three troops, the third of these placed under Capt. Robert Forsyth, and a quartermaster added; though one troop acted as a dismounted formation. The later inclusion of foot soldiers with the cavalry, advocated by Lee himself, was seen as measure necessary to insure the flexibility and survivability of the unit. Much of 1778 and early 1779 was spent recruiting, training, and arming the corps; however,
they continued scouting, foraging, putting fear into tories, and occasionally skirmishing including one retaliatory foray on Sept. 30th, 1778 (two days after the Baylor massacre at Tappan, N.J.) when, accompanying some infantry from the 9th Pennsylvania Regt. under Col.
Richard Butler, they put to flight a contingent of German riflemen, led by Hessian Col. Carl Von Donop, and in which they slew 10 and took another 18-20 prisoners.6

It's interesting that this PDF appears not to have any further mention of him. Still might be interesting to go through the names there and find out how many other members had sons, or maybe even daughters, who became noteworthy historical figures in the nation's history. I'm sure some had grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters, etc. who became noteworthy but I look at Lee and Forsyth and see how someone in the next generation of their families became noteworthy in their own right. Although....

We can of course point to Robert E. Lee's own son's who served in the Confederate Army. George Washington Custis Lee and William Henry Fitzhugh Lee both became major generals with Custis Lee becoming aide-de-camp to Davis and Rooney Lee a noted cavalry general. And Robert E. Lee Jr. became a captain in the Rockbridge Artillery and an aide to his eldest brother. Robert Forsyth's grandson, John Forsyth Jr., is known as a newspaper editor but he also apparently became a commissioner representing the Confederate government to the federal government. Though how two this is may be questionable as it may be coming from Appleton's Cyclopedia of American Biography, which supposedly made up some of the biographies in it. Gonna have to try looking him up.

Close Window