View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Thu Jul 18th, 2013 08:35 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

There seems a bit of a problem to me with he knife. It's too perfect for a knife from the war pulled out of a creek. That is the handle is too perfect as it looks to be a wooden handle. Now water has preserved wooden timbers from ships, but that is usually I deep water where the temperatures are cold and where sediment may have already covered the timbers. Creeks usually aren't deep enough for the kinds of temperatures I'm talking about. If it had been a knife from the war that was lost during the war then I'd think that the handle would have rotted away years ago. On the other hand a knife from the war that has been well care for might still have the original wooden handle or it might have had the handle replaced once or twice in the past hundred years. Such a knife could be recently lost, which would explain the handle being in such good shape.

My personal guess is it's a more recent Bowie, maybe a reproduction of a period Bowie knife but just as likely something made for todays market without an intention to reproduce any particular historic design. For that matter it might not even be a Bowie knife at all. WWII US Marine Corps Ka-Bar's were based on the design of the Bowie knife, though the blade isn't quite as wide. But the point is the Bowie design has influenced the design of other knives

Close Window