View single post by samhood
 Posted: Sat Jul 20th, 2013 02:36 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
samhood

Mana: 

For ten years I have been researching and writing a book on John Bell Hood. The first words in my book are "It's a shame a book like this has to be written." I then write that my book will be criticized for being unbalanced; when it is in fact the balance that is absent from all other books on Hood and his tenure as commander of the AOT.

During the final phases of my research, last summer (2012) I discovered a treasure trove of documents...Hood's lost personal papers. I incorporated into my text much of the new information revealed in the papers, including two independent eyewitnesses who claim that Frank Cheatham intentionally disobeyed Hood's orders to attack at Spring Hill because he (Cheatham) disapproved night attacks. This corroborates majors Cumming and Ratchford.

Another letter from SD Lee states that AP Stewart said that Patrick Cleburne was complicit with Cheatham, and the next day was distressed that Schofield had escaped, and with feelings of personal responsibility and remorse, died at Franklin the next day.

These are not my opinions or interpretations; they are included in personal letters written to Hood. Had they been saved and archived for public scrutiny in the 1880s, the current interpretation of Spring Hill, and thus Franklin, would be much different than today.

Other important information involves Ed Johnson's night attack at Franklin, and claims by SD Lee that Bate's division had abandoned the front, causing the decimation of Johnson's troops, who had been ordered to hold their fire for fear of hitting Bate's men.

The book is by necessity, intentionally and openly one-sided, and reveals, through primary sources, that most things commonly believed about Hood are utterly baseless. I implore any new students of Hood, Atlanta, or the Tennessee Campaign to read other books in addition to mine to get a complete and balanced view of JB Hood.

Close Window